I think Kermit said it best, “it’s not easy being green”. It seems everything comes in single-serve plastic these days. It’s hard to find things packaged in cardboard or glass. It’s plastic, plastic, plastic. We are a world obsessed with plastic.
We all know we should recycle. We check our city code, follow their rules, and put our bins out once a week. But is there anything else we can do?
Some things are easier than others. Here are five easy ways you can be a little more green this week, month, and year!
- Switch to bar shampoo and condition. Most come in recyclable cardboard and work as well (if not better) than your liquid. I use Ethique*.
- Use reusable bags when shopping instead of getting more plastic bags. We always take our reusable bags every shopping trip. Or decline a bag if you only have a few items. Also, if you get a plastic bag, you can find places to drop off and recycle. Our city does not take plastic bags in our can, so we drop them off every few months.
- Instead of buying gift wrap (most of which isn’t recyclable), buy a fun reusable bag. The gift recipient can then use the bag for shopping or gifting!
- Get a library card! You can borrow books, audiobooks, movies, all kinds of things. You help reduce single-use purchases of most books and movies. Let’s be honest; we all have good intentions to read those books multiple times but never do!
- Make your home smart! You can purchase so many different things to make your house smart and save energy. We have a nest thermostat that we can program, and it will adjust itself to save us money and energy! We also have lights on timers and hooked up to google. Have you ever been out of the house and can’t remember if you left a light on? Well, now you can check AND turn it off!
There you go! Five easy ways to be a bit greener. What are your quick tips to be more green? Leave them in the comments!
Every print purchase will donate 20% to Outdoor Afro during the month of March instead of the usual 15! Shop now.
*Amazon affiliate link – if you purchase through this link I will earn a small commission.