May is National Photography Month!
And the best part? Everyone can celebrate! You don’t have to be a professional. You don’t need a fancy camera. You can use an old point and shoot or your phone. Have an instant camera? Grab that! There are no rules, no gatekeepers. You just have to love taking photos. And who doesn’t love taking photos? So get out there and have fun!
How can you celebrate National Photography Month?
Here are my top five ideas:
- Try something new. Maybe you always take photos of your kids. Shake it up and do a self-portrait! Get a small phone tripod, grab something(s) that represent you (maybe a big mug of coffee or a glass of wine), and do a mini-photo shoot! Always use your cell phone? Get an instant camera (Kohl’s has a bundle for around $120). There are so many different ways to go with this prompt!
- Print. I will always encourage you to print. Make a photo book from your last family vacation. You can get everyone involved in picking the photos and layout! I recommend MPix. They are the consumer side of the professional lab I use and make excellent products! Photo books start at $29.99 or you can make prints starting from 24 cents!
- Find a new to you photographer. Go to the library and browse photo books to find someone you’ve never heard of. Search Instagram. Check out photo documentaries on Netflix or other streaming services. It’s always fun to “discover” someone.
- Take a photo walk. I’ve even put together a little May Photo Hunt to give you some ideas! You can get the PDF here. Get the list then head out to take some photos! You can do this solo or grab some friends or family. Want to share your photos? Check out the pinned post on J Volden Photography Facebook page and join The Desert Adventurer group!
- Share the love! Find photos or photographers you love and let them know! Tell your friends and family about your favorite photographers. Share their posts, pages, and groups. Photographers appreciate when you like, comment, share, and follow. It helps us. You don’t have to only buy to support your favorite photographers. Investing a little time to comment and share helps us reach new audiences.