Most people plan to have a relaxing vacation. Sitting on the beach and sipping mai tais. But what if you want to challenge yourself or stay fit while away from home? Why not plan an active vacation!
So you want to challenge yourself and have an adventure? Here are some tips to get your hike (or climb kayak, bike) on!
- Pick a destination. Have you always wanted to white water raft the Grand Canyon or hike Yosemite? Think about those dreams locals you want to see.
- Pick an activity or two. You can’t do it all, so keep it simple. Hike for two days and bike for one.
- Check your fitness. Have you been biking for months or just started? Make sure you aren’t going to push too hard. You don’t want to injure yourself on vacation (trust me on this one, it’s not fun!).
- Make a list. What gear do you need? You may need to purchase some rain gear if you live in the desert and are traveling to the Pacific Northwest. While you’re making that list, check your current equipment. Does any need to be replaced? Don’t forget the food. Active vacations will require extra calories to keep you fueled!
- Plan your trip! Make sure to include more rest time than you think. You never know when you’ll want (or need) a little extra. It’s also a good idea to share your plans with someone not going, so if something happens, they know where you are.
Lastly, have fun and enjoy your active vacation!
Where do you want your next active vacation to be, and what will you do while there?