I love a good National Park. I have a goal to visit every single one, including National Monuments, Historical Parks, etc. There are 63 National Parks and a total of 423 National Sites. There is definitely one out there for everyone. It will be tough to visit all 63 and even hard to hit all 423 but I am determined.
But why you ask?
Why would someone want to spend all their vacation time and eventual retirement traveling the US, trying to visit every park, monument, and site?
Everyone could probably come up with their own reasons and we’d have as many reasons as National Parks. But since it’s just me over here I am going to give you my top five reasons to visit a National Park. Feel free to leave your reasons in the comments! I’d love to hear (read?) them!
My Top Five Reasons:
- The scenery is some of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. Seriously. Some places photos do not do them justice. You really need to see it for yourself. You also get to see a variety of ecosystems from an active volcano to a large hole in the desert to glaciers. Plus sometimes you get lucky and see the wild animals that inhabit the parks.
- Activities! You get to be active. There’s a lot of walking and hiking to be done. Some parks have water activities such as kayaking or snorkeling.
- It’s affordable family fun. You can get an annual pass for $80 and bring a carful of people to any and all of the parks! You can hit up all the parks in your state (or nearby) in one year and only costs you $80 plus gas, lodging, and food. And if you camp at or near the National Park? You got some cheap lodging and you can bring your own food!
- You can learn about native plants and animals in the area. You can also learn some interesting scientific facts, like how hoodoos are formed. And you can learn about conservation and saving this ol’ ball we are flying around on because it’s the only one we got!
- Lastly, you can relax in nature and improve your mental health. It’s proven that being out in nature can improve your mood, clear your head, and reduce stress.
So, get out there and explore the National Parks! Why would you want to head out to a National Park?
All National Parks https://www.nationalparks.org/connect/explore-parks/all-parks
National Park Systems https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/national-park-system.htm
Nature Makes You Happy https://www.apa.org/monitor/2020/04/nurtured-nature